AES boasts superior facilities in the heart of the desert Southwest. We offer year-round full service boarding, as well as temporary stays during your mare’s estrus cycle. We also offer Foal Watch and Foaling services to help you sleep easy. Stable your mare with us prior to her foaling date and let us do the work. Then she will have a better chance of settling on the foal-heat.
Board includes water, grain and alfalfa hay twice a day, and vet care as needed. Stalls, pens and runs are cleaned daily. For more information browse our Facility page.
- $14/day for dry mare
- $16/day for wet mare
To more accurately estimate your mare’s estrus, or to know when to order semen, you must first know how far along she is. We can measure follicles or check for pregnancy with our Ultrasound equipment. With shipped cooled semen now in wide use throughout the Quarter Horse industry, it’s easy to have your mares bred to stallions of your choosing that are located almost anywhere in the world. Let us manage your mare, order the semen when ready and inseminate her for you.
Our primary method of breeding is by Artificial Insemination (A.I.). The practice of A.I. increases the chances of getting a mare pregnant, and reduces the risk to the mare and stallion in the collection/breeding process. The semen is collected in an A.V. from a breeding dummy. The semen is then either prepared and cooled for shipping, or used to artificially inseminate a mare.
Preparation For Your Mare:
- Thin mares that are losing weight are hard to settle. Have your mare gaining weight during the breeding season – especially if she has a foal at her side.
- Give the stud manager a history of your mare’s estrus cycle…how long she stays in heat, whether she shows strong or timid heat, etc. Mares tend to be very repeatable.
- Have your mare wormed before delivering her to the breeding farm. Make sure her vaccinations are up to date. Unless she needs shoes, it’s best that she be barefooted.
- Plan to leave your mare at the breeding farm until she is diagnosed as pregnant.
- Deliver a copy of your mare’s registration certificates to the breeding farm along with the mare to ensure accurate and timely record keeping.